Mobile/Embedded Test Engineer
We are looking for talented Test Engineers to join our team on a 12 month FTC.
The Product Engineering team is looking for talented test engineers to join us and work with our Automotive and Mobile software. These positions are offered under a 12 month fixed term contract, with a possibility of a continued role for successful candidates.
Testing tasks vary and include; understanding requirements, writing test documentation, creating/modifying and working through manual test plans, machine/test environment setup, interoperability testing and bug reporting. Whilst we use an effective mix of automation and manual testing, we are particularly interested in expanding our manual testing capabilities.
The core of VNC Automotive software is designed for automotive and mobile application developers and is delivered as SDKs. Our growing portfolio now includes consumer-facing mobile apps, web interfaces, and multimedia streaming solutions. The software runs on desktop PCs, on embedded devices, such as smartphones and development boards; and is also deployed to the cloud. We test a variety of operating systems including Linux, Android, Windows, OS X and iOS.
We value the input of everyone in the team; working as close-knit project teams to deliver requirements to deadlines, using technology that is innovative, interesting and at times challenging. You will be expected to be highly motivated and have a can-do approach to your work. In exchange, you will have an excellent opportunity to develop your software testing knowledge and gain experience with a wide range of operating systems and technologies in a rare mix of Automotive, Embedded and Mobile spaces. You will have the opportunity to influence the quality of our products from an early stage. We work closely with other testers and developers within the team, so help and guidance is never far away.
– Hold a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and several years’ experience in a testing position.
– Believe that software testing is a state of mind and get a kick out of identifying issues others may have missed, and for maintaining quality.
– Are excited about getting your hands on the latest smartphones and with early access to ROMs/OS versions from suppliers all around the world.
– Have a desire to both work with others, sharing your experience, and to build your knowledge and skillset.
– Are familiar with operating systems other than Windows, e.g. macOS, Linux, or other Unix.
– You’re highly motivated and able to work independently and as part of a wider team.
– Communicate technical ideas clearly, with excellent written and spoken English.
As well as the above, if you have any desired experience below then we’d like to know about it!
– You’ve had some experience with testing/development of embedded software for automotive platforms or mobile devices and/or quality assurance for at least one mobile application available in the app stores in a professional capacity.
– You have a general understanding of the technologies that underpin the internet, and how they work.
– You might have an interest in programming as a hobby or to support your work (in Python, Perl, Java or a similar language).
We are offering a unique opportunity to join our team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. If you are successful, you will be compensated with an attractive package, which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits including contributory pension, discounted gym memberships and private dental and medical care.
These are full time posts (35-hours per week), based in our central Cambridge office, but we believe in a healthy work/life balance and are happy to accommodate flexible working arrangements.
How to apply
To apply, simply complete and submit the form below.
VNC Automotive has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and candidates invited to interview are requested to provide proof of their eligibility to work.
VNC Automotive is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Marcus, Technical Lead (Engineering)
“It’s a great time to join the Engineering team here at VNC Automotive – there are plenty of exciting new projects in the pipeline, and we’re expanding to meet the high demand. You’ll be joining a diverse, multi-talented group of developers and testers, working with code and technology at all levels of the software stack. If you’re interested in tackling a broad range of technical challenges as part of a supportive team, then do get in touch with us.”
Hills Road where we are based is easily accessible from all major routes into Cambridge. If approaching from Station Road turn left at the T-junction traffic lights, then immediately right into the car park. From the Addenbrookes end of Hills Road continue over the Clifton Way bridge, passed Brooklands Avenue and then turn left immediately after the Flying Pig. From Regent Street continue over the cross road onto Hills Road, turn right immediately after Botanic House (the curved glass fronted building). We’re on the second floor of Betjeman House so just buzz in and come on up.
We have a limited number of allocated parking spaces so please let us know if you’ll be arriving by car.
We are a 5-minute walk from Cambridge train station, follow Station Road and you will then reach a T-junction where Station Road meets Hills Road. Cross the road and our office in Betjeman House is set back from the road slightly, in between the Flying Pig and Botanic House (the curved glass fronted building). We’re on the second floor of Betjeman House so just buzz in and come on up.
+44 (0) 1223 737200