We are looking for talented and committed Engineers to join our team!
This is a fantastic opportunity for experienced Engineers to take an active role in expanding our global brand by developing software for the significant and growing number of mobile phone vendors, tier 1 equipment suppliers and automotive manufacturers who license our core technology and embed it within their products.
As part of a fast-paced team, you will help to create the latest generation of VNC Automotive technology targeted for use within the automotive sector by creating and maintaining SDKs, pluggable components and both reference and consumer-grade applications. The work is interesting and challenging; with new projects constantly in the pipeline we’re always at the leading edge of what’s possible with the newest technologies available. This, combined with the scope for innovation and the introduction of new product ideas, means there is potential to develop your career as a Software Engineer at VNC Automotive at an accelerated pace.
From day one you will contribute to our offering of industry standard technologies such as Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™, as well as innovative proprietary in-car solutions. You will see your work directly impact end-users all around the world. You will remain at the cutting edge, always with an eye on conformance to standards and meeting specifications, feeding into the company product base. Project-based working with external stakeholders is common, such as in distributed project teams, consortia, and certification programs.
• have demonstrable experience of developing software written in C++, Java, Kotlin, Swift Rust, and/or Objective C for any of the following operating systems: Linux, Android, QNX, Windows , Android Automotive, Genivi, iOS and iPadOS
• professional track-record of writing smartphone apps, games, web content or smart IOT solutions for previous or current employers
• are a team player who is also happy to work autonomously, and enjoy considerable responsibility within your work
• have a strong coaching mindset and get a kick out of working alongside others, using experience to enhance the capabilities of those around you
• have excellent oral and written communication, and can demonstrate a high level of problem-solving skills
• have a relevant technical degree (or equivalent qualification) related to Computer Science
As well as the above, if you have experience in any of the following then we’d like to know about it!
• writing or maintaining technical specifications, or working within certification programs (either within the automotive sector, or otherwise)
• multimedia technology; e.g. set top boxes, TV sticks, streaming services, writing codecs, performance optimisation (image quality, audio-video sync, latency)
• developing for the Linux kernel, debugging drivers in open source or proprietary projects, or building custom Android ROMs
• have experience in creating and maintaining development toolkits, pluggable components and reference applications
• outward facing responsibilities; e.g. customer facing situations, conveying requirements into technical tasks; team working in distributed projects
• language skills (French, German, Italian, Japanese and/or Mandarin would be highly beneficial but not essential)
These roles offer a unique opportunity to join our Product Engineering team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand, and with great potential and vision. If you are successful, you will be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, and private dental and medical care.
At VNC Automotive we believe in a healthy work/life balance. This is a full-time post (35-hours per week), based in our Cambridge office but featuring flexible home/office working arrangements.
How to apply
To apply, simply complete and submit the form below.
VNC Automotive has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and candidates invited to interview are requested to provide proof of their eligibility to work.
VNC Automotive is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Phil, Lead Software Engineer (Engineering)
“At VNC Automotive I am able work on projects at the forefront of automotive innovation. I get a real kick out of knowing that I am helping to push the boundaries of what is possible in this sector.”
We’re based at St John’s Innovation Centre within the Cambridge Science Park, easily accessed from the A14. There is plenty of unallocated parking on-site; please let us know if you are planning to drive and we will advise you of the best location to park your vehicle.
We are a 20-minute walk from Cambridge North train station. Turn right down Milton Avenue and follow the path onto Cowley Road, follow Cowley Road round to the right and after approx. 500 metres, you will find St John’s Innovation park on your left.
+44 (0) 1223 737200