Embedded Test Engineer
We are looking for talented and committed Engineers to join our team!
The Product Engineering division is looking for talented Test Engineers to join us and work with our Automotive and Mobile software.
Testing tasks vary and include understanding requirements, writing test documentation, creating/modifying and working through manual test plans, machine/test environment setup, interoperability testing and bug reporting. Whilst we use an effective mix of automation and manual testing, we are particularly interested in expanding our manual testing capabilities.
The core of VNC Automotive software is designed for automotive and mobile application developers and is delivered as SDKs. Our growing portfolio now includes consumer-facing mobile apps, web interfaces, and multimedia streaming solutions. The software runs on desktop PCs, on embedded devices such as smartphones, and development boards, and is also deployed to the cloud. We test a variety of operating systems, including Linux, Android, Windows, OS X and iOS.
We value the input of everyone in the team, working as close-knit project teams to deliver requirements to deadlines, using technology that is innovative, interesting and at times challenging. You will be expected to be highly motivated and have a can-do approach to your work. In exchange, you will have an excellent opportunity to develop your software testing knowledge and gain experience with a wide range of operating systems and technologies in a rare mix of Automotive, Embedded and Mobile spaces. You will have the opportunity to influence the quality of our products from an early stage. We work closely with other testers and developers within the team, so help and guidance is never far away.
– hold a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and severeal years’ experience in a testing position.
– believe that software testing is a state of mind and get a kick out of identifying issues others may have missed, and for maintaining quality.
– are excited about getting your hands on the latest smartphones and with early access to ROMs/OS versions from suppliers all around the world.
– have a desire to both work with others, sharing your experience, and to build your knowledge and skillset.
– are familiar with operating systems other than Windows, e.g. macOS, Linux, or other UNIX.
– you are highly motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a wider team.
– communicate technical ideas clearly, with excellent written and spoken English.
As well as the above, if you have any desired experience below then we’d like to know about it!
– ISTQB certifies to the foundation level.
– you’ve had some experience with testing/development of embedded software for automotive platforms or mobile devices and/or quality assurance for at least one mobile application available in the app stores in a professional capacity.
– you might have an interest in programming as a hobby or to support your work (in Python, Perl, Java or a similar language).
– language skills (French, German, Italian, Japanese and/or Mandarin, would be highly beneficial, but not essential).
These roles offer a unique opportunity to join our Product Engineering team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand and huge potential and vision. The successful candidate will be compensated with an attractive package appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits including contributory pension, discounted gym memberships and private dental and medical care.
This is a full time post (35-hours per week), based in our Cambridge offices, but we believe in a healthy work/life balance and accommodate flexible working arrangements.
How to apply
To apply, simply complete and submit the form below.
VNC Automotive has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and candidates invited to interview are requested to provide proof of their eligibility to work.
VNC Automotive is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
Tom, Senior Test Engineer (Engineering)
“VNC Automotive gave me a chance. I did not have a huge amount of experience just after graduating from university, but I was willing and eager to learn. I had an interest in their target industry, working with computers and new technologies. Over 6 years later, I’m still here enjoying my time, learning and growing as a tester and a member of the team.”
We’re based at St John’s Innovation Centre within the Cambridge Science Park, easily accessed from the A14. There is plenty of unallocated parking on-site; please let us know if you are planning to drive and we will advise you of the best location to park your vehicle.
We are a 20-minute walk from Cambridge North train station. Turn right down Milton Avenue and follow the path onto Cowley Road, follow Cowley Road round to the right and after approx. 500 metres, you will find St John’s Innovation park on your left.
+44 (0) 1223 737200