Embedded Software Engineer
We are looking for talented and committed Engineers to join our team!
This is a fantastic opportunity for experienced Engineers to take an active role in expanding our global brand by developing software for the significant and growing number of mobile phone vendors, tier 1 equipment suppliers and automotive manufacturers who license our core technology and embed it within their products.
As part of a fast-paced team, you will help to create the latest generation of VNC Automotive technology targeted for use within the automotive sector by creating and maintaining SDKs, pluggable components and both reference and consumer-grade applications. The work is interesting and challenging; with new projects constantly in the pipeline we’re always at the leading edge of what’s possible with the newest technologies available. This, combined with the scope for innovation and the introduction of new product ideas, means there is potential to develop your career as an Embedded Software Engineer at VNC Automotive at an accelerated pace.
From day one you will contribute to our offering of industry standard technologies such as Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™, as well as innovative proprietary in-car solutions. You will see your work directly impact end-users all around the world. You will remain at the cutting edge, always with an eye on conformance to standards and meeting specifications, feeding into the company product base. Project-based working with external stakeholders is common, such as in distributed project teams, consortia, and certification programs, all of which can feature occasional global travel, including Europe, USA, Japan and China, should this be of interest to you.
• have demonstrable experience of developing C++ software for any of the following embedded operating systems: Linux, Android, QNX, Windows Automotive, Android Automotive, µItron, Genivi
• regularly code with at least one of Java, C, and/or Python in any of the above environments
• have an understanding of networking programming, protocol design, compression, security and multithreaded programming
• have experience in creating and maintaining development toolkits, pluggable components and reference applications
• are a team player who is also happy working autonomously, and enjoy considerable responsibility within your work
• have excellent oral and written communication skills, and can demonstrate a high level of problem-solving skills
• have a relevant technical degree (or equivalent qualification) related to Computer Science
As well as the above, if you have experience in any of the following then we’d like to know about it!
• Writing or maintaining technical specifications, or working within certification programs (either within the automotive sector, or otherwise)
• Multimedia technology; e.g. set top boxes, TV sticks, streaming services, writing codecs, performance optimisation (image quality, audio-video sync, latency)
• Developing for the Linux kernel, debugging drivers in open source or proprietary projects, or building custom Android ROMs
• Working on software projects or embedded hardware projects as a hobby/just for fun, such as writing smartphone apps, games, web content or smart IOT solutions (e.g. on Raspberry Pi)
• Outward facing responsibilities; e.g. customer facing situations, conveying requirements into technical tasks; team working in distributed projects
• Language skills (French, German, Italian, Japanese and/or Mandarin would be highly beneficial but not essential)
These roles offer a unique opportunity to join our Product Engineering team, working for a successful, growing company with a recognised global brand, and with great potential and vision. If you are successful, you will be compensated with an attractive package which will be appropriate to your skills and experience. We also offer generous benefits, including a contributory pension, and private dental and medical care.
At VNC Automotive we believe in a healthy work/life balance. This is a full-time post (35-hours per week), based in our Cambridge office but featuring flexible home/office working arrangements.
How to apply
To apply, simply complete and submit the form below.
VNC Automotive has a responsibility to ensure that all staff are eligible to live and work in the UK and candidates invited to interview are requested to provide proof of their eligibility to work.
VNC Automotive is an equal opportunities employer, committed to staff welfare and professional development.
MARCUS, TECHNICAL LEAD (ENGINEERING)
“It’s a great time to join the Engineering team here at VNC Automotive – there are plenty of exciting new projects in the pipeline, and we’re expanding to meet the high demand. You’ll be joining a diverse, multi-talented group of developers and testers, working with code and technology at all levels of the software stack. If you’re interested in tackling a broad range of technical challenges as part of a supportive team, then do get in touch with us.”
Hills Road where we are based is easily accessible from all major routes into Cambridge. If approaching from Station Road turn left at the T-junction traffic lights, then immediately right into the car park. From the Addenbrookes end of Hills Road continue over the Clifton Way bridge, passed Brooklands Avenue and then turn left immediately after the Flying Pig. From Regent Street continue over the cross road onto Hills Road, turn right immediately after Botanic House (the curved glass fronted building). We’re on the second floor of Betjeman House so just buzz in and come on up.
We have a limited number of allocated parking spaces so please let us know if you’ll be arriving by car.
We are a 5-minute walk from Cambridge train station, follow Station Road and you will then reach a T-junction where Station Road meets Hills Road. Cross the road and our office in Betjeman House is set back from the road slightly, in between the Flying Pig and Botanic House (the curved glass fronted building). We’re on the second floor of Betjeman House so just buzz in and come on up.
+44 (0) 1223 737200